Sunday, May 25, 2008

Getting to Know Us: Michael Groth



HOW AND WHY DO YOU SERVE AT SUNSET:

God gave me the ability to sing. Musicals, choir and singing in bands with friends have all turned out to be pretty 'up in the bump' thus far (don't worry, I just made that phrase up), so quite naturally I figured singing on the worship team would not be 'down in the dump' (that rhymes!). I believe in worshiping God by means of the talent(s) that he has given you. I am not quite sure why I waited until my senior year to sing at Sunset Pres., but it has been a grand time! I did, however, really enjoy being a vocal on the Wednesday Morning Worship Team at Westview, so perhaps it took dipping my shoes in that before I felt I was able to jump into this.

PLANS FOR THE FUTURE:

Ultimately, I hope to be a film actor. Currently this is not a course offered at Azusa Pacific (the college I will be attending next year). I am going there mostly for the theological training, I'm not sure what God wants me to do in either area. I considered the idea of being a youth pastor, but honestly all I know now is that God wants to use me in some way. Whether that is in the church or not, I do not know.

I am currently setting up meetings with different choreographers around the LA area (I 'pop and lock' as a main hobby). I mean, hey, since I am going to Azusa, why not? I have no idea where this will take me, but that is the perfect ingredient for adventure, no? Actually, this next week I was invited to perform for one of such choreographers, and I am looking foreword to it!

I will be pursuing theater and singing extracurricularly in college, if time allows as it did in high school.

I hope to one day write a screen play. I plan on taking my time, however. I have already been working on it for three years, but I have taken J.R.R. Tolken's philosophy to heart: he took some twenty-odd years to produce the Lord of the Rings. I am in no rush, I do not plan to write a lot of movies, just one really good story!

FAVORITE DANCE MOVE:

This is a very interesting question, primarily because most of the moves I use do not have names, and many I do not perform more than once. There is a move people generally come up to me and ask me to do, though, where I mimic the droid army being deployed in Star Wars: Episode I. So methinks that would probably be the easiest move to describe . . . oh, wait, scratch that. My favorite move is the raptor, where, indeed, I pretend to be a raptor. That is the most fun for me.

FAVORITE MOVIE AND WHY:

Every day in acting class we have a question-of-the day. This was one of them, and I had a pretty hard time thinking of a good answer. I can probably think of best movies by genre, though. Zoolander for a comedy, and the Matrix as an epic film. That pretty much describes me, I usually only go to see movies if the visuals and philosophy are off the chain, or the movie has you laughing every other sentence. All those movies in between are just silly.

IF I WERE A SUPER HERO I WOULD BE:

Naturally, a superhero that could do pretty much everything would be the most convenient, but that is not as fun, is it? No, no, I think I would probably be Shadow Man. Like a Peter Pan sort of thing where the shadow has a mind of its own. That would be a pretty awesome duo. Not too lonely, either. Or mayhaps I would be able to turn into a shadow . . .you know, go from three-dimensions to two instantaneously. By the by, a shadow cannot be hurt and it can probably walk up walls. And it can get bigger depending on the sun placement. Lots of fun things!

1 comment:

Christina Groth said...

Yes, seeing you and our brother Josh, do 'the raptor' is definitely unique and entertaining! There is no such thing as non-entertaining family time in our home!

What I think stands out about you most is that you are such a nurturing and caring person. I have watched you create and pursue so many friendships. You encourage and have deep compassion for those that you have come to know. You pray for your friends. Most of them do not even know that. I do not believe that I have ever known you to say a negative thing about anyone!

I am so proud and blessed to be your sister!