Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Getting to Know Us: Melinda Groth


I am passionate about:
Grace
My childhood sweetheart and husband of 25 years, John
Our four kids and their entourages
Helping others to discover and hone their spiritual gifts
Encouraging and supporting those that are hurting
Prayer
Connecting peripheral persons with others of common interests

What I do at Sunset:
Prayer ministry

Quirky traits:
I smile at everyone I see, when out on my daily walks.
We have 17 bird feeders, two binoculars, 14 kinds of seed and two bird baths.
I prefer fresh and local produce.
My kitchen must be clean or I can't relax.
I am too hot when the temperature is above 74, unless there is a breeze.

Other Miscellaneous:
I tend to have surgery about every two or three years (no, not cosmetic).
I have been summoned to jury duty 8 times.
I'm deathly allergic to latex.
Favored edible indulgence: a fresh sugar cookie
I lip-read.
I thrill at Taiko drumming and Imago Theatre.
My education is in theology, intercultural communication and thanatology.
Experienced a dozen miscarriages/stillbirths
Lead prayer ministry at Westview (for females) for past 8 years.
Witnessed miracles
Formerly a leader of prayer ministry for SPC youth department for 10 years
Tend to choose books illuminating the lives of people in other cultures
I am involved with Willamette West Habitat For Humanity.
Healed of cancer.
Bring lunch to and know the first names and stories of two panhandlers in our area
(to the clearly signaled disliking of other drivers).
Am an enormous fan of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter.
Favorite actor is Denzel Washington.
Favorite director: Ang Lee
Dream home is a log cabin, tucked into the woods, near a stream.

4 comments:

Christina Groth said...

two more:

she has prayed with/for each of us individually, daily, for as long as I can remember.

I am her favorite daughter! Of course, it helps that I don't have an sisters. Just three wildly amusing and loving brothers! ;o)

Anonymous said...

No mention about being a great cook/baker??

GodSide said...

Melinda is a dear soul...you cant say that about many today....she is a dear soul.

Anonymous said...

you rock melinda, thank you from the bottom of my heart for serving God the way you do, on the front lines, in prayer.
Jay