Monday, October 19, 2009

Getting To Know Us: Dan Morgan

This is Dan with his 2 kids, Emily and Andy.

How/why do you serve at Sunset?
Most Sundays I work in the children's area hanging out with a special needs student. I like being able to provide the social interaction and help give his mom a break. I have also worked on the security team for the FUN nights, which is, um, FUN. We would often attend the old evening service so when the chance came up last year to help with the new Sunday evening service, I was excited for the opportunity to provide this option. So, once a month I perform the setup and teardown of the sound equipment and run the sound board during the service. I find it very interesting to work with technical equipment that's not a computer because it's quite different from my day job. Since this was so much fun, I also signed up to work the camera in the big church once a month. That's a bit more stressful knowing that everyone will see it if I make a mistake, but it is also rewarding to find a really cool picture that may get up on the screen. A side benefit of working both with children and tech departments is meeting and working with the great people that make our church run and it's one of the reasons I love coming in to serve.
If you could have lunch with any person dead or alive, who would it be and why?
I suppose the obvious answer here is Jesus, but I also can't think of a better one. I suppose I could think of a question or two to ask, but even just listening to him speak for an hour would be amazing.

What are you passionate about?
Day-to-day I am passionate about my job, responding to urgent needs as quickly as possible and getting projects done the right way so things run smoothly. I love solving problems with software and making computers do what I want. I am also a strong believer in education, especially literacy and math as important building blocks for both children and adults to better grow and participate in our society and provide the capability for self-improvement, spiritual growth, and greater self esteem.

What’s a dream you have that has yet to be lived out?
Probably more travelling to different parts of our country and world. I think it might be fun to take a motorcycle tour of the US.
What’s your “day job”?
Computer programmer at a local semiconductor manufacturer, TriQuint. We make chips that are used for cell phones, wireless internet, and many other communications devices. The process generates a lot of data and my group is responsible for collecting much of the data, reformatting as necessary, storing it, and making it available to various internal and external customers. I also work on factory automation projects to enable our production tools to talk to other computer systems and improve speed and accuracy.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I enjoyed getting a window into your world, Dan. Thank you for serving the way that you do!