Monday, June 29, 2009

Getting To Know Us: Debbie Hamelman


How/why do you serve here at Sunset?
I work on the tech crew, usually as stage manager, but I have actually run the lighting a couple of times and did the media shout once, and that was scary!! I also serve on the leadership team for the 50s/60s single group, I have worked at the Bike Fair for two years. I have been attending Sunset for about 5-6 years and just thought it was time to serve instead of observe, I used to belong to a Rotary Club and we did alot of service projects, they always make you feel good, it is better to serve others. So I guess I was missing that aspect of my life after I left the Club.

One random fact or accomplish?
I am a Nascar fan, a Jeff Gordon groupie. I have actually been to three races and had a great time, was lucky enough to get garage passes at two of the races and got to meet a lot of the drivers (including my Jeff!!)and get autographs. I was in seventh heaven all day, couldn't quit grinning...also, I used to race a 4-wheel drive truck myself years ago! I guess I like speed?

What made you interested in serving as a stage manager?
Long story, my friend Wayne Moore, one of the sound guys,suggested I meet Janet a couple of years ago, and I actually did at a BBQ at Wayne's house. I did a shadow of the Powerpoint stuff about that time, but for some reason, never pursued it. A couple of years go by, I see Janet in church, we chat, but nothing else, then I see all of these "first serve" opportunities, so I do another observe for the stage manager job and thought I could handle it ok, and here I am, loving it!! Nothing like getting to tell other people what to do, my mom training comes in very handy! So I guess it is all about God's timing and not mine....who knew? :-)

If you could go to the airport on a Friday night and fly anywhere for a week, where would you go and why?
I would go to Italy, I have been wanting to go there for years, it is beautiful and historic and just looks like a wonderful place to visit. Of course if I just wanted to go somewhere to relax it would be Maui!! I love it there.

What’s your “day job”?
I work for a small high tech company. I have been there for about 20 years! I am the Purchasing manager and I manage the manufacturing department as well. And anyone that works at a small company knows that you wear many other hats in a day than just the hat for your job title. Probably why I love my job so much, the people are honest, hard working and awesome, more like family than co-workers and the work is different every day. My favorite day job is when I get to spend the day (or any amount of time!) with my grandson Will. Being a grandma is just the most amazing priviledge and joy! And yes, he is the cutest, smartest and most incredible 2-year old around!

2 comments:

Janet Fraser said...

have loved getting to serve with you on the crew... finally! :-) thanks Debbie for being so faithful and such an encourager!

Melinda said...

You are a wonderful sister to have in the worship team family! Your attentiveness to the people around you, as well as the tasks at hand, are well applied.