Friday, May 9, 2008

A Church That Gets It - by Jay McKenney http://www.jaymckenney.typepad.com/

Every molecule in my body longs to be a part of just that… a church that gets it. For everyone reading this, that phrase may mean something different. Maybe for you that phrase means a church with the most amazing youth program in the state. Maybe for you it's a church that has Bible study classes that challenge you. Maybe for you it's a church with small groups who connect in community and live life together. Or it could be a church that plays music that sounds like whatever you play in your car.

I think for me, whatever it is, a church that gets it is a church that is successful in owning a unified vision they are uniquely equipped to live out. It's a church with a unified identity that the whole church gets, regardless of your age, your gender, or what specific program you volunteer in.

Sunset is on the brink of being a church that gets it. I could not be more honest than to say that I literally feel it happening.

I believe what is happening at Sunset is not a fad, or a trend, or something we experiment with to draw people into our seats. I believe what is happening now at Sunset is a trickle that is about to become a wave. A wave that rises up and sweeps us over, ending all kinds of divide and disharmony, and uniting us in a far more powerful way than music or a message from the platform ever will.

I believe Sunset is about to become a church that serves our community. Not as a few people here and there, not as just the "outreach ministry" of our church, but all of us, young and old, together. I believe it is what we are going to be about, it is how we'll be identified, and that it is going to be awesome. And I believe it is not us instituting this needed change church wide, I believe it’s Jesus.

Make no mistake, I'm writing this because I want you to consider joining this wave, and to get in on it while it is still a trickle. And the best way, in the immediate future, is on June 21st, Sunset's Serves Up day where, as a whole church, we will get out and love the community around us.

To get in on this with me, with our church, will you save the date and reserve your spot on the team? For more information, please go to http://sunsetserves.blogspot.com/.

No comments: