Friday, May 23, 2008

A Letter from Pastor Ron

Last Saturday afternoon I received an emergency call from Nampa, Idaho asking me to call back immediately. I knew that wasn't good news, as that is where my parents live. My dad is 89 and had a serious heart attack earlier this year. I called their home, and my mom answered the phone. She told me that dad was outside spraying weeds in the yard and washing the car and came in and sat down at the kitchen table. She noticed his color looked terrible, she went over to steady him, and he lost consciousness. She called 9-1-1. They came quickly but could not resuscitate him.

His death came as a shock, because he had been doing very well and was playing golf two or three times a week and leading a very active life. My dad had heart episodes over the last several years, but still I wasn't prepared for this day. I am very sad to have my dad gone. Jorie and I were planning a 65th wedding anniversary party for my mom and dad on June 23. They were coming over to celebrate the graduations of our sons Luke from Portland State and Mark from Lincoln High School. Instead, ten of our family members will travel to Nampa on Thursday to celebrate his wonderful life. He was a great dad. I will have lots of good things to say about him at the memorial service on Friday. Our sons will also be sharing in the service.

Though sad, I am thankful I know my dad is with Christ. My dad raised me to know Christ. He was a career pilot for United Airlines so was gone some nights, but every night he was home he would read a devotional to our family after dinner and encouraged us to memorize a Bible verse.

My dad was one of nine children, so we will be with a lot of relatives this week. Pray we can be an encouragement to my mom and sister. And pray for us as we travel by car to and from Nampa. As I write this, I know many of you have already lost your parents or other dear loved ones, some even this week. It is my privilege when I can pray for you, and I trust you sense the love of Christ and encouragement from those at Sunset.

Sincerely,
Pastor Ron

No comments: