Friday, July 16, 2010

Worship News7/16

From Jay

Wounds

Peel back the outside layer to get a good look at the average heart, and you will see the scars and open sores of the wounds we all carry. Different things wound us in different ways. So often the wounds are words. Words carry so much in them: the ability to bless, to inspire, to love. Words also have the ability to deflate, to strike, to dishearten. Proverbs says wounds from a friend can be trusted more than kisses from an enemy. But too often it’s not our friends with good intentions, its people with no relationship, and no care for you, that shoot out the arrows that can pierce deeply and do more damage than they may even have intended.

I have told many of my friends that I can’t wait to get old so that I can go and find young people, who look different than me, who like different things than me, who lead differently than me, who worship differently than me, and then use my words to bless their socks off. I can’t wait to just look for Jesus in them, to look at their heart and the things that matter, and exhort them on and bless them. If I am being totally honest, I crave this… especially in the few years I have left of being somewhat passable as “young” (approaching 40 now), but truly don’t think it will happen. I crave more of the generation before me seeing my heart and using their words to bless and exhort me with their wisdom, rather than using words which dishearten and discourage. I pray that my heart remains soft enough and that I remember my desire to bless long enough to actually do it when I look in the mirror and see white hair and wrinkles. (I am going to bleach my hair and layout more to get there faster. :) But seriously, what will allow that to actually happen is the grace of my Savior.

Does it sound like I have been wounded recently?  Truthfully nothing more than normal, or more than you have probably received in one way or another recently yourself. Thankfully I serve at a place where the encouragement and life comes much more often than the wounds, and for that I am thankful!

How many times have I wounded Him? It was my sin, my rebellion that drove Him to take the ultimate wound for me. He did not win me over by showing me how much I hurt him or how much I wounded him. He won me over by meeting my wounds with His grace and forgiveness.

Your words, my words, carry with them a blessing or a curse. They hold in them so much power for harm or for good. Don’t underestimate the gift of communication you have been given. Use it to bring hope, life and love to others. Draw on Christ in you and then spill Him out to those in your sphere of influence.


Opportunities To Serve

Baby Grand Piano

Needed, baby grand piano donation. We’re constantly working to meet the needs of those who come to our services. With some upcoming changes to other weekly services at Sunset, we need a baby grand piano (which is easier to lead worship from than an upright) for the Student Center. If you are able to help with this need, please contact Janet Fraser at janetfraser@sunsetpres.org or 503.292.9293 x341.

5:30pm Volunteers needed
If you are a regular attender of the 5:30 gathering we would love to have you come and serve once a month. We are looking for people to help with in the following roles. Ushers, stage managers and powerpoint operators. For more information or to sign up contact janetfraser@sunsetpres.org

Serve Once A Month – With a Great Team
We are in need of ushers for the 11am service. If you are available and willing to serve once a month as an usher, it’s a great opportunity to get your feet wet in ministry. Interested? Please contact carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or 503.292.9293 x3083.

Communion Help
We are looking for people willing to serve once a month helping with communion. Specific positions needed are prep, servers, and clean-up. If you are interested and willing to serve, please email to carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or call 503.292.9293 x3083.

Come support and bolster the immune system of the weekend services.
Help us inoculate them with powerful prayers.
Each week, a few of us gather to pray over the weekend services. We typically meet on the night of the service rehearsal, which is generally on Thursday. We'd love to have you join us, whenever it might fit in your schedule. Come once, monthly or weekly.

What to expect: We enjoy a devotional time together first, with the whole service team, at 7pm. That lasts about a half hour. Then we break off for a time of prayer that lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. Join us?
Occasionally the day/time varies. With that in mind, contact Melinda melindalgroth@gmail.com to verify the schedule.


Upcoming Events

August 2-7, Highschool MOVE Camp, click here for details

August 5-6, Leadership Summit, East Hill Church in Gresham
This two day event is one of the largest gatherings of Christian leaders around the world. It’s an annual injection of vision, skill development and inspiration for the sake of the local church.
For more info or to register: willowcreek.com/summit. Mention Sunset and get WCA discounted rates. Got questions? Email rickanderson@sunsetpres.org

August 17-20, Kids Camp, click here for details

No comments: