Friday, December 17, 2010

Worship Update 12/17

From Jay

Blackberry Bushes
When I was little there was a field near where I lived with massive blackberry bushes that towered over our heads. My brothers and I would take a sheet of plywood and a machete, then carve out paths through it and make big rooms of clearing in the middle. I remember how hard it was to hack through those twisted sharp branches, and how consuming they were, and how endless they seemed. I also remember how quickly they grew back, crowding and choking out the paths we had cleared.

This is what it feels like sometimes for me as a Christian when I go to “seek His face”. It feels like blackberry bushes of self, and chaos, guilt, and sin, and setbacks, and tiredness, and confusion and a million other things crowd out my clear view of Him. After a couple of weeks of hacking through the brush of life I’ll come into a few days of clearing, and I’ll meet Him there. And there is rest… there is healing… there is hope. My personal experience though is that it is always short lived, and it simply will be on this side of heaven, the blackberries will keep growing.

This week we are going to sing Came To My Rescue. I drink these words in today as I seek another meaningful glimpse of the face of my Savior.

Falling on my knees in worship
Giving all I am to seek Your face
Lord all I am is Yours
My whole life I place in your hands
God of mercy humbled I bow down
In Your presence at Your throne
I called… You answered
And You came to my rescue and I
I wanna be where You are


Opportunities To Serve
Holiday Ushers - Christmas is fast approaching. We have three Christmas Eve gatherings where we’ll need ushers. If you are available to usher at any of these services, please email alantmitchell@comcast.net

Christmas Eve, Friday 12/24; 3, 5 and 10pm


Upcoming Events
December 24, Christmas Eve Services, 3pm, 5pm, 10pm
December 25, Christmas Day
January 1, New Year’s Day
January 9, Communion Sunday
January 16, Pathways & Connections class starts
January 16, Choir & Orchestra Sunday and Infant Baptism/Dedication
February 6, Super Bowl Party
February 14, Valentine’s Day
March 3, Peacemaking class starts


New Bible Study Begins in January
RECONCILED: Pursuing Relationship with Christ and Community is the title of our study starting after
the first of the year. Just as we did with Nehemiah, 2 Corinthians will be our book of focus for the whole
church study. Our research writing team has done an outstanding job of writing this study just for
Sunset. It’s designed that we all will grow deeper in our understanding of God’s Word and how it applies to our lives individually and to the whole church at Sunset. Make plans now to be a part of this
intriguing study. For more info or to register click here.

No comments: