Friday, December 3, 2010

Worship Update 12/3

From Jay

Unexpected Cold Front
I adore the snow. Every single year I am optimistic that we will have a foot of snow at some point and that it will shut down normal life for a week. Even though it’s only happened like that maybe 3 times in my memory over the last 20 plus years, I still always believe that this is the year.

So when we had the unexpected cold front a couple weeks back, I thought, “Here we go!!” Apparently it is just waiting until Christmas morning. I’m cool with that.

I had another unexpected cold front of a different kind hit me this week. I was in a meeting about Sunset’s focus this year of “Reclaiming the Story” (think Advent Conspiracy…). The bottom line of this is that because Christ came, we go. We want to embrace the real meaning of Christmas. Since He came and changed everything for us by His love, this should change the way we celebrate Christmas, and the way we love the surrounding community. This is the real story of Christmas.

I sat there realizing that while I agreed with this intellectually, my heart this year had not caught the vision. In fact, my heart felt cold towards it.

I went back into my office and pleaded with God to change my perspective, to warm me up to His heart, to catch the vision, and to have it move from my head to my heart.

The reality is, even though I have known Christ my whole life, I easily can become preoccupied with “stuff”. This year I have been thinking so much about what I would be buying my family and how I would afford it that it has consumed the majority of my thoughts regarding Christmas.

But I don’t want that. I want to lead my family well. I want to teach my girls about Christ, and the incarnation, and relationship, and love. I don’t want to miss this opportunity to continue to expand on my response to God’s love and have it reach outward… beyond my little world and out to neighbors and people in need. I want to seize the opportunities that a church like Sunset provides to care about people that need both resources and Christ. I want to Reclaim the Story.


Food & Toy 2010 will take place the week of December 14, culminating with Delivery Day on Saturday, December 18. Throughout the week, cookies will be baked, toys will be wrapped, and food will be packed. Please check here for more information about Food & Toy or to volunteer.

Reclaim the story of Christmas through Assist-A-Family. The Christmas trees are in the Lobby with names of families that you can adopt for this Christmas. Full instructions are found in the mailer you received at home recently. If you didn’t get a mailer or need another, stop by the Book and CD desk for the flier that describes this year’s opportunities.


Opportunities to ServeHoliday Ushers - Thanksgiving and Christmas are fast approaching. We have three special events where we’ll need ushers. The events and dates are below. If you are available to usher at any of these services, please email alantmitchell@comcast.net

Christmas Eve, Friday 12/24; 3, 5 and 10pm


Upcoming EventsDecember 12, Choir Concert, 6:30pm
December 24, Christmas Eve Services 3pm, 5pm and 10pm
December 25, Christmas Day
January 1, New Year’s Day

No comments: