Friday, January 14, 2011

Worship Update 1/14

From Jay

Relentless love
Ever since I worked in construction, my spine has been temperamental. I remember I used to come home after hard manual labor and couldn’t take a full breath because something was just “off”, and I would have to lie face down on the ground, and then Allison would walk up and down my back. I would have her stop at a certain spot and say “there”, and she would hop a little (sometimes a lot) and then I was back in proper alignment and could take a full breath again. Having someone step on me, walk all over me, and even jump on my back was unpleasant but worth it. This happens less now that I sit at a desk all day, but every once in a while she still does this for me.

Sometimes I wince when I feel God messing with me to bring me back to proper alignment with Him. Sometimes I want to say “Get off my back Lord.” His pursuit of me is relentless. His pursuit of you is relentless. He will allow everything you know to be shaken. Everything, except what you know to be true of Him, and His promises, and His love, and your future in Him. Over and over again, He brings me back to that core knowledge in my spirit, stripping everything else away.

I believe God does the same thing with His church. When we just want everything to work, and to avoid pain and unpleasantness, God will allow anything and everything to bring us to the point of stripping everything away till all that remains is Himself, and His truth, and His promises, and His love. I long for our church to be able to take a deep breath soon and to thank God together for bringing us to a point of health. For now, I thank Him for His relentless pursuit of us, both individually and as a church body. I pray that you and I learn to continue to lie down before Him and be okay with Him messing with us in whatever way He sees fit.


Opportunities To Serve
Artful ideas needed!As we begin service planning for the new series studying 2 Corinthians we are looking for ideas that use the arts on the theme of reconciliation; works of art, literature, music. Please post ideas on the Sunset worship facebook page by clicking here or email them to janetfraser@sunsetpres.org.

Mission ConneXion Northwest 2011Friday & Saturday, Jan 21 - 22, Our Church!
www.missionconnexion.com
We are hosting one of the largest conferences to take the gospel to the nations. Plan now to attend and/or volunteer. Admission is free, content is powerful! Volunteers check back page of Sunday’s bulletin to be contacted.


Upcoming Events
January 26, Alpha class starts
February 6, Super Bowl Party
February 14, Valentine’s Day
March 3, Peacemaking class starts

No comments: