Friday, March 4, 2011

Worship Update 3/4

From Jay

Understand first
At various times in my life I have found myself saying a lot... “They don’t get it.” “He or she doesn’t understand me.” Have you ever felt that inside? To be truly understood, to be truly heard, to be truly known, is very rare in this life isn’t it?

I can’t control someone listening to me, can’t make them understand, and can’t crawl into their brain and see if they have an agenda or if they are sizing me up or if they are thinking about what is for dinner tonight.

The reality is, most of the time, it’s me that doesn’t get it. It’s me that hasn’t taken the time to seek to understand. It’s me that puts my desire to be understood, ahead of understanding another, and therefore I’m doing the very thing that I despise. I want to change that about me. I want to begin to give the gift of really hearing people and finding out where they are coming from. I have a long way to go. In fact, I think I have nowhere to go but up. 

James 1:19
“My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry…”


Sunset Lay-Offs Announcement
If you didn’t receive the News & Views with this information on 3/1, please email to Rick Anderson rickanderson@sunsetpres.org.


Opportunities To Serve

Musicians Needed!
We are always looking for musicians who want to get involved. If you sing or play, contact us! Right now we are particularly looking for piano players, but even if you play the harmonica or spoons, we want to hear from you! Contact Jay at jaymckenney@sunsetpres.org, or Tyler at tylerbraun@sunsetpres.org

Sunset Choir
The Sunset Choir will be taking part in the Easter service again this year. The choir is open to everyone, just come to practice on Tuesday night at 7pm in the choir room. In order to be ready, we ask that you begin attending prior to the March 15th if you would like to sing on Easter with the choir.

Artful ideas needed!
As we are service planning for the series studying 2 Corinthians we are looking for ideas that use the arts on the theme of reconciliation; works of art, literature, music. Please post ideas on the Sunset worship Facebook page by clicking here or email them to janetfraser@sunsetpres.org.


Upcoming Events
March 6, Divin’ In Class starts
March 13, Daylight savings begins – Pancake Breakfast between services
March 21-25, Beaverton Spring Break
April 10, Infant Baptism/Dedication
April 10, Family Series
April 10, Pathways & Connections
April 15, Family Unity Night (FUN), 6:30p
April 24, EASTER

No comments: