Friday, December 4, 2009

Worship Update 12/4

From Jay

As to the Lord rather than for man
Last Wednesday night I was supposed to speak at an event and share a short devotional. I had a long time to prepare, and only had to speak for 10 minutes.
Dating back to high school, I was petrified to get up in front of people and speak. It terrified me. I so much preferred the safety and comfort of the other side, sitting and watching someone else speak. My hands and knees would tremble, mouth would suddenly lose every drop of moisture, and I had a hard time making eye contact. (The mouth thing still happens to this day.)

Today because of my calling and vocation, I find myself in front of people more than I would have guessed; but usually it’s within the safety of numbers and when I speak it only has to be quick, so I can manage.

But this was ten minutes… just me… and I was very nervous. I spent a lot of time with God, praying and thinking about what to share. I kept thinking over and over how I wanted to do a good job, wanted it to have a main point, be understandable and memorable. And to be honest, I began to make it about me.

I was pretty worked up right before I had to speak, and desperately needed some perspective with about 5 minutes to go. My mind and heart were racing and I needed some peace and calm, and needed to know Jesus was with me and I was not alone.

As God has done so many times in my life, He spoke to me exactly when I needed it and exactly what I needed to hear. He said, “Jay, it doesn’t have to be epic, it just has to be for Me.” Instantly my heart rate slowed, my mind cleared, and I felt peace in what I was about to do. I felt confident that I spoke for Him and Him alone. (Even though my mouth got dry and I’m pretty sure it was about a C+ talk. J)

Are there things in your life that you want so badly to be epic, things that you want to impress people with that, in the process, they cease to be for God and become about you?

Colossians 3:23-24
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Welcome baby Millie!
Carrie Peeples, the Worship team admin, is on maternity leave and baby Millie Elizabeth Peeples was born Sunday, Nov 29th, in the afternoon. Check out pictures
here!

A note from Pastor Ron…
Christmas at Sunset Presbyterian… this is one of my favorite times of the year when families gather and
show love to each one. You’ll not want to miss any of the gatherings here at Sunset during this holiday season. Here’s December’s list of some of the special gatherings:

12/6 - 9 & 11am “Christmas of Compassion” - InsideOut Kids Choir & Cast
12/13 - 6:30pm “Hallelujah! Light Has Come” - Sunset Choir & Orchestra
12/14-18 - Prep week for Food & Toy
12/19 - Food & Toy delivery to community families
12/24 - 3, 5, 7, & 10pm Christmas Eve Services
When Heaven Came Down – Consider the Wonder of the Christ Child

It’s my Christmas wish that you consider Advent Conspiracy... Advent Conspiracy is not a four-point checklist of how to do Christmas. It is not a formula or a fool-proof system to make your Christmas more meaningful. It is about entering the story of Jesus more deeply with a desire to worship fully. It is
not enough to say no to the way Christmas is celebrated by many, we need to say yes to a different way of celebrating…
- Worship Fully
- Spend Less
- Give More
- Love All

Seasons of Service
Food and Toy
Food & Toy 2009 will take place the week of December 14, culminating with Delivery Day on Saturday, December 19. Throughout the week, cookies will be baked, toys will be wrapped, and food will be packed for up to 700 families. Please mark your calendars and consider how you and your family and friends can make this part of your Christmas tradition and celebration.
Click here for more information. Click here to volunteer.

William Walker, Our Adopted School
There is a need to help 5th graders for an hour, one day a month to do more advanced work, working one-on-one with a student in an activity provided by the teacher. Also there is need for Art support, helping students with art projects and art literacy.

To volunteer
click here or you can also go to the table in the lobby to speak with our representatives to find out more.

Opportunities to Serve
Ushers Needed!!
We are in need of ushers for all 3 services, especially the 11am. If you are available and willing to serve once a month as an usher, please contact
tracifranzke@sunsetpres.org or 503-292-9293x3083.

Communion Help
We are looking for people willing to serve once a month helping with communion. Specific positions needed are prep, servers, and clean-up. If you are interested and willing to serve, please email to
tracifranzke@sunsetpres.org or call 503.292.9293 x3083.

Sunday Morning Preludes
We are looking for people willing to play the preludes Sunday mornings before The Nine service, in March and April. For more info or to propose a list of your available Sundays please contact Janet Harmon,
jkharmony@comcast.net.

Join Sunset Choir
Choir has started!! But it’s never too late to join. If you love to express your heart for God through song, please plan to participate in choir this year. Rehearsal is every Wednesday, 7-9pm in the basement on the west side of the building. For questions or more information, contact
jillhofer@sunsetpres.org.

Upcoming Events
December 6 – Christmas of Compassion - InsideOut Kids Choir
December 13 – “Hallelujah! Light Has Come” - Sunset Choir & Orchestra
December 16-19 – Food & Toy
December 24 – Christmas Eve Services 3, 5, 7 & 10pm
December 25 – Christmas Day
January 1, 2010 – New Years Day

No comments: