Friday, October 29, 2010

Worship Update 10/29

From the archives of Jay McKenney

Jump
I have very fond memories of rock jumping in my teenage years. My favorite spot was in Sandy on the Bull Run River. My friend Brian Remsburg had a Christmas tree farm near there, and he showed us this awesome spot on the river near the dam.

We had to hike about a mile down the river, passing 2 or 3 other medium sized jumps until we got to the big daddy of them all. We called it “the cliff”. Climbing to the top was a challenge. It basically felt like rock climbing it was such a steep ascent. On the top where we would jump was a tree growing out from the side of the cliff that provided about a 1 foot platform to stand on. I remember standing a LONG time there the first few jumps, trying to gain the courage needed to let go of the tree and leap out into nothing. The trick to the jump, was that you couldn't just sort of jump. The cliff wasn't straight down, it came out a few feet in the middle, so you had to jump out enough to clear that hump in the middle. And of course, if you were a guy, like any good jump you had to remember to keep your legs close together when you hit the water. 

Luke 14:28-30
“But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it? Otherwise, you might complete only the foundation before running out of money, and then everyone would laugh at you. They would say, ‘There’s the person who started that building and couldn’t afford to finish it!’”

Jesus is challenging His disciples to pick up their cross and follow Him. In that time people who were carrying their crosses were on their way to be crucified. So a challenge like that was not a half hearted, sort of maybe, if you feel like it proposal. This was all in… this was be ready to die for your devotion to Jesus. This invitation was to a full on jump.

I think the danger for someone like me, who has known Christ their whole life, is that when I was young I didn't even know what it meant to count the cost. I just knew I loved Jesus and that He loved me.

Sometimes today though I feel like if you saw me, you’d see that I have jumped off the cliff, but I didn't jump quite far enough and I am clinging to the base of that tree, legs dangling, scared out of my mind. What I long for is to jump all the way off, with reckless abandon. At times I am confused when that longing doesn't transfer into action; or I’m frustrated with myself when it feels like I am still just content to remain up on top by the tree instead of living the adventure of a surrendered life.

“Jesus, while I still can jump, teach me to jump all the way for You.”


Opportunities to Serve

5:30p Volunteers neededIf you are a regular attender of the 5:30 gathering we would love to have you come and serve once a month. We are looking for people to help with in the following roles. Ushers and PowerPoint operators. For more information or to sign up contact janetfraser@sunsetpres.org

Serve Once A Month – With a Great TeamWe are in need of ushers for the 11am service. If you are available and willing to serve once a month as an usher, it’s a great opportunity to get your feet wet in ministry. Interested? Please contact carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or 503.292.9293 x3083.

Communion HelpWe are looking for people willing to serve once a month helping with communion. Specific positions needed are prep, servers, and clean-up. If you are interested and willing to serve, please email to carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or call 503.292.9293 x3083.

Come support and bolster the immune system of the weekend services.
Help us inoculate them with powerful prayers.
Each week, a few of us gather to pray over the weekend services. We typically meet on the night of the service rehearsal, which is generally on Thursday. We'd love to have you join us, whenever it might fit in your schedule. Come once, monthly or weekly.

What to expect: We enjoy a devotional time together first, with the whole service team, at 7pm. That lasts about a half hour. Then we break off for a time of prayer that lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. Join us?
Occasionally the day/time varies. With that in mind, contact Melinda melindalgroth@gmail.com to verify the schedule.


Upcoming EventsNovember 6, Marriage Simulcast – Love & War
November 7, Daylight Savings Ends
November 4, Be a Peacemaker Class
November 24, Thanksgiving Eve Service 7pm, A Celtic Thanksgiving
November 25, Thanksgiving Day
December 12, Choir Concert, 6:30pm
December 24, Christmas Eve Services 3pm, 5pm and 10pm
December 25, Christmas Day
January 1, New Year’s Day

No comments: