Friday, October 22, 2010

Worship Update 10/22

From Jay

Unlovable
I think one of greatest fears in my life is my own flesh. The capacity of my brain and heart for wickedness astounds me, even after, or maybe especially after, 36 years. While I am very aware of the power of Christ in my life and the things He has changed and is changing, I am painfully aware of the areas where I still blow it and struggle.

If we hooked a computer to your brain and for a week saw every thought, every hidden emotion, every suppressed response, every temptation battled, every fear, insecurity and buried issue what do you think people would think of you? I know what people would think of me.

The catch is that I often put the same response others would have towards me on God. Deep down my heart, at times, betrays what my head knows… it says things like, “Knowing what He knows, God couldn’t love me.” “God is disappointed with me.”

And then, I find myself beginning to respond to others in that unlovable way. Responding defensively, being short, and showing a lack of love.

It is at times like those that I have to stop the easily said Christian sounding lines about God’s love, and actually dwell His love… meditate on it… sit with it. Knowing what He knows, God loves me. Knowing what He knows about you, and He knows IT ALL, He loves you. Deeply, completely, loves you.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)

He did this for you before you were even born, before you could decide if you were unlovable or not. And He would do it again today.

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. (John 15:9)

When we grasp this, even a little, when we operate as loved people, it changes the way we respond and reach out to others. Sunset can be a place where we, as a body, increasingly realize at a heart level how much we are loved… and then love each other and this community in response to that. Remain in His love.


Opportunities To Serve

5:30p Volunteers neededIf you are a regular attender of the 5:30 gathering we would love to have you come and serve once a month. We are looking for people to help with in the following roles. Ushers and PowerPoint operators. For more information or to sign up contact janetfraser@sunsetpres.org

Serve Once A Month – With a Great TeamWe are in need of ushers for the 11am service. If you are available and willing to serve once a month as an usher, it’s a great opportunity to get your feet wet in ministry. Interested? Please contact carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or 503.292.9293 x3083.

Communion HelpWe are looking for people willing to serve once a month helping with communion. Specific positions needed are prep, servers, and clean-up. If you are interested and willing to serve, please email to carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or call 503.292.9293 x3083.

Come support and bolster the immune system of the weekend services. Help us inoculate them with powerful prayers.
Each week, a few of us gather to pray over the weekend services. We typically meet on the night of the service rehearsal, which is generally on Thursday. We'd love to have you join us, whenever it might fit in your schedule. Come once, monthly or weekly.

What to expect: We enjoy a devotional time together first, with the whole service team, at 7pm. That lasts about a half hour. Then we break off for a time of prayer that lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. Join us?
Occasionally the day/time varies. With that in mind, contact Melinda melindalgroth@gmail.com to verify the schedule.


Upcoming Events
October 24, Special Meeting with EPC, 7:15p in the Sanctuary
October 29, Family Unity Night (FUN)
November 6, Marriage Simulcast – Love & War
November 7, Daylight Savings Ends
November 4, Be a Peacemaker Class

No comments: