Friday, October 8, 2010

Worship update 10/8

From Jay

That they may all be one

Last Sunday I sat in a church informational meeting and listened to people take sides on an issue. Honestly there was a moment when my head and heart just sunk as I listened to how people talked to one another. Don’t get me wrong, my heart sinks to think about ways that I have spoken to other human beings, my family included. But it hurt… really bad… to hear it at church in our sanctuary. It felt like what the military calls “friendly fire”.

John 17:20-24
“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

“I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!

Such perfect unity… that phrase jumps out. Does that mean we agree on every issue we face? No. But I do believe it means there are some things, no matter what we face, that unite us as brothers and sisters in Christ. There is a foundation in Him, in who He is, in what we believe to be true about Him together, that is stronger than our differences, stronger than our emotions, stronger than our humanity. And it is to those foundational beliefs, and that relationship with an unchanging God, that we should cling to together when everything else seems up for grabs.

Sunset can be that kind of place. We can be the kind of body that experiences that perfect unity. And it is because He lives in you and me. That they may all be one.


Opportunities to Serve

5:30p Volunteers needed
If you are a regular attender of the 5:30 gathering we would love to have you come and serve once a month. We are looking for people to help with in the following roles. Ushers and powerpoint operators. For more information or to sign up contact janetfraser@sunsetpres.org

Serve Once A Month – With a Great Team
We are in need of ushers for the 11am service. If you are available and willing to serve once a month as an usher, it’s a great opportunity to get your feet wet in ministry. Interested? Please contact carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or 503.292.9293 x3083.

Communion Help
We are looking for people willing to serve once a month helping with communion. Specific positions needed are prep, servers, and clean-up. If you are interested and willing to serve, please email to carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or call 503.292.9293 x3083.

Come support and bolster the immune system of the weekend services.
Help us inoculate them with powerful prayers.
Each week, a few of us gather to pray over the weekend services. We typically meet on the night of the service rehearsal, which is generally on Thursday. We'd love to have you join us, whenever it might fit in your schedule. Come once, monthly or weekly.

What to expect: We enjoy a devotional time together first, with the whole service team, at 7pm. That lasts about a half hour. Then we break off for a time of prayer that lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. Join us?
Occasionally the day/time varies. With that in mind, contact Melinda melindalgroth@gmail.com to verify the schedule.


Upcoming Events
October 17, Informational meeting 6:45pm Sanctuary
October 24, Special Annual Meeting
October 29, Family Unity Night (FUN)
November 6, Marriage Simulcast – Love & War
November 7, Daylight Savings Ends
November 4, Be a Peacemaker Class

No comments: