Friday, October 15, 2010

Worship Update 10/15

From Jay

Be present
Yesterday I was not the servant leader I desire to be. Not even close. I wanted to be supportive, loving, and encouraging to the people I serve with. Truth be told I was quiet, sluggish and paralyzed. It was the lowest morale day I have felt in my own spirit in six years at Sunset. The best that I can say for yesterday is I was present.

When I was young, I loved to run. One of my greatest memories of running was that my dad was present at the majority, if not all, of my races. I really don’t know how he did it. Full time construction worker, involved in his church, father of four, but somehow he was there.

When I dislocated my knee, and my running dreams stopped short, again, my dad was there. He was holding my head as I screamed in pain on the basketball court with my knee not where it should be. He was there at the hospital. Through good times and bad, my father was present, because we are family. As much as it meant to me that my dad was there when I could run, it meant more to me that he was there when I was broken and in pain.

Some of you are torn up with what is going on at Sunset. Some of you have strong feelings one way or the other about it. Some of you are so sick over it that your reflex is to just stay away for a while until things settle down. I want to encourage you, if this is your church family, to be present. It’s part of what it means to be a church family. We face things together… when life is good and there is a sense of oneness, and when life is confusing, it changes by the hour, and people are in pain. Be present.


Opportunities to Serve

5:30p Volunteers neededIf you are a regular attender of the 5:30 gathering we would love to have you come and serve once a month. We are looking for people to help with in the following roles. Ushers and powerpoint operators. For more information or to sign up contact janetfraser@sunsetpres.org

Serve Once A Month – With a Great TeamWe are in need of ushers for the 11am service. If you are available and willing to serve once a month as an usher, it’s a great opportunity to get your feet wet in ministry. Interested? Please contact carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or 503.292.9293 x3083.

Communion HelpWe are looking for people willing to serve once a month helping with communion. Specific positions needed are prep, servers, and clean-up. If you are interested and willing to serve, please email to carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org or call 503.292.9293 x3083.

Come support and bolster the immune system of the weekend services.
Help us inoculate them with powerful prayers.
Each week, a few of us gather to pray over the weekend services. We typically meet on the night of the service rehearsal, which is generally on Thursday. We'd love to have you join us, whenever it might fit in your schedule. Come once, monthly or weekly.

What to expect: We enjoy a devotional time together first, with the whole service team, at 7pm. That lasts about a half hour. Then we break off for a time of prayer that lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. Join us?
Occasionally the day/time varies. With that in mind, contact Melinda melindalgroth@gmail.com to verify the schedule.


Upcoming EventsOctober 24, Special Meeting with EPC, 7:15p
October 29, Family Unity Night (FUN)
November 6, Marriage Simulcast – Love & War
November 7, Daylight Savings Ends
November 4, Be a Peacemaker Class

No comments: