Friday, January 28, 2011

Worship Update 1/28

From Jay

The dawn is coming
I am a true Oregonian. I love most everything about this state from a scenery and seasons standpoint. I even love a good Oregon rainy day. If there is one thing that can get to me though, and this isn’t specific to just my home state, it is the darkness of winter. The length of the darkness from sunset to sunrise I can find hard to deal with. There is something about an early sunrise that inspires hope, speaks of renewal, and whispers of action. When you wake up and it is still dark, everything in me says, GO BACK TO BED, NOTHING TO SEE HERE! 

If you are like me, this is sometimes how it has felt to be a part of the family at Sunset lately. I love this church. I love these people. As the weeks have turned to months and we have faced the void of information and clear direction, maybe you are like me and the sheer length of it has been more than a little hard to deal with. And regardless of how the night settled upon us, I find myself craving and leaning and straining for the sun to rise. I keep remembering that saying, “It is always darkest right before the dawn”.

I believe the dawn is coming.

I believe God cares for us. I believe He is teaching us things that can only be learned in an in-between time like this one. I believe God has not abandoned us. I believe in the resurrection power of Jesus Christ. I believe in the healing power of God. I believe in the unity of the Trinity, and for God’s power to accomplish unity in His church. I believe in reconciliation, restoration and renewal. I believe God can rebuild, rework, and retool. I believe God is not tired, worn out or weary. I believe He is still the essence of life, of love, of hope, of grace, of justice, of truth. I believe He is still in the business of saving lives, and still desires to partner with you and me in His great mission.

Like the rising sun that shines
From the darkness comes a light
I hear Your voice and this is my awakening


Opportunities To Serve
Artful ideas needed!
As we begin service planning for the new series studying 2 Corinthians we are looking for ideas that use the arts on the theme of reconciliation; works of art, literature, music. Please post ideas on the Sunset worship Facebook page by clicking here or email them to janetfraser@sunsetpres.org.


Upcoming Events
January 30, Overflow Play Day
February 6, No 5:30p service due to Super Bowl
February 13, Family Series for MS/HS Parents
February 14, Valentine’s Day
February 18-20, Wildfire Winter Camp
February 27, Food Drive for Helping Hands
March 1, DivorceCare starts
March 3, Peacemaking class starts
March 6, Divin’ In Class starts
March 13, Daylight savings Begins
March 21-25, Beaverton Spring Break

No comments: