Friday, February 4, 2011

Worship News 2/4

From Jay

Competent
I debated writing anything this week. There is a lot of noise, a lot of things to read, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to add to your pile. So if you decide to read this in the midst of all the communication you are receiving from Sunset, than I guess this is for you. 

Are you a competent person? Here is how competence can be defined:

- properly or sufficiently qualified or capable or efficient
- adequate for the purpose
- having sufficient skill, knowledge, ability, or qualifications

Your mind may race to your job field, or your schooling, or your interests… but think about it more in terms of your overall life. Are you competent to live and live well? Are you competent to love? Are you competent to make a difference?

I must state now, in this writing, my incompetence. I am not properly or sufficiently qualified to lead my family, serve in a church, or even write this devotional each week. I am not competent to make a difference. I am not adequate for the purpose. I don’t have the sufficient skill, knowledge, ability, or qualifications.

My competence comes from Christ and Christ alone… it comes because He loves me and forgives me and pulls out the best in me. It comes because He is my Creator and the author of my life. He is faithful and steadfast and His motivations are pure. His Spirit lives in me and I have access to His strength at all times. He is my rock and my salvation. He and He alone can make a difference through my life.

Your competence comes from Christ as well. He is competent to make a difference through you. Lean into that and into Him today.

John 15:5
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you,
you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.


Sunset News
A communication was sent this week from both the Sunset Commission and from Pastor Ron. If you did not receive a copy of this communication via email or mail, please contact carriepeeples@sunsetpres.org.


Opportunities To Serve

Artful ideas needed!As we begin service planning for the new series studying 2 Corinthians we are looking for ideas that use the arts on the theme of reconciliation; works of art, literature, music. Please post ideas on the Sunset worship Facebook page by clicking here or email them to janetfraser@sunsetpres.org.


Upcoming EventsFebruary 13, Family Series and 5:30pm service CANCELLED
February 14, Valentine’s Day
February 18-20, Wildfire Winter Camp
February 27, Food Drive for Helping Hands
March 1, DivorceCare starts
March 3, Resolving Everyday Conflict Study starts
March 6, Divin’ In Class starts
March 13, Daylight savings Begins
March 21-25, Beaverton Spring Break

No comments: